Sunday, December 13, 2009

Pixie Dust


I think we’re living in a pixie dust world in a lot of ways, and I don’t mean in the: my little princess let’s ruin our daughters’ kind of way. I’m talking about grown men and women, though not necessarily grown up men and women. And the pixie dust isn’t a magic powder that can make us fly, but a special naïveté pill that we use when convenient. And it’s always convenient.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that most people will not appreciate my accusation. Which is fine, because as you know other people’s opinion of me is pretty low on my list of concerns. However, I do understand some of the hatred here, simply because the pixie dust is easy to believe in, and in many circumstances is something we must hold on to. Because the lies we tell ourselves are always the most convincing.

What kind of lies do we tell? There’s a mumble jumble of little things, and a smattering of larger things. Let’s say you’re dating someone and things aren’t quite working out. Well we’ll just push along and get through this rough patch, that’s the adult thing to do. Maybe if we got married it’d take some of the stress away, that’s what we should do! And everything is copacetic, right? Well no, not generally. But you’re going to act that way, and maybe even believe it. This is normal, it’s not ideal but it’s the right thing to do. Right? When things get too hard again? Let’s have a kid. Sprinkle, sprinkle.

Ever try talking sense to someone who is/thinks they are in love? Talk about pissing into the wind. Does anybody think “When a Man Loves a Woman” is a happy song? If you do I have a bag of pixie dust to sell you. It’s cheap.

What happens when someone’s life isn’t going quite as planned? Y’know, the way it never quite does. Life doesn’t work on a plan or schedule, and fighting that is always a losing battle. Step one in Neverland is to find someone to blame. Blaming your parents was certainly in vogue in the 90’s. I think we now tend to blame society as a whole, which is ridiculous because the 60’s already played that card. I’m more supportive of creative delusions.

My job sucks. It’s because nobody appreciates me. My home sucks. It’s because everyone around me is making my life miserable, probably intentionally. It’s not fair. I’ve got nothing here, if you’re looking for fair I recommend trying to walk on water and turn it to wine. Chances are things are unfair in your favor and you just don’t know it. I think you need to sweep under the carpet, there’s dust everywhere.

I don’t really know what to make of it, and I know that I’m guilty of some of these delusions as well. It’s nice to make the world resemble what we want it to be, even if it’s just by a little. It’s probably part of how we deal with the world; human nature so to speak. And I don’t mind that you lie to yourself, and I promise to try not to burst your bubble. Just stop lying to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment