Monday, July 23, 2012

Debbie Downer

I have often heard the fair criticism that I’m overly negative.  Please don’t interpret “fair” with “constructive;” I’ve rarely ever heard constructive criticism about anything.  I’m pretty sure it’s just a way to feel justified being an asshole.

But back to the matter at hand, I’m willing to concede that I can be a bit of a downer.  I tend to see the downside of things.  And it doesn’t really matter what it is, a personality, world event, work changes, etc...  I always see the potential pitfalls.  But that’s an important distinction.  I may see the pitfalls, but I’m not looking for them.

Is that really a bad thing?  Let’s look at the macro realities here:  Am I going to win any puppy dog and sunshine awards?  No, but I’m not in a near constant state of crying either.  Am I consumed by dark moods and suicidal thoughts?  Of course not, every time I’ve almost killed myself has been completely accidental.  If anything, I’m defined by my apathy, which by definition is not depressive.  

One consideration that I think is pretty big here is that I’m not trying to convince anybody else of my worldview.  I see the downside initially and it doesn’t bother me.  It may bother you, but I’m not some Eeyore caricature trying to prove the depths of darkness in the world.  You may see me as depressing but don’t confuse that with me being depressed.  If I was actually anywhere near as negative as my reputation, one would think I’d act on my dark fantasies.

And lastly, I’m not going to apologize for the way I see the world.  People say I’m too negative but nobody ever accuses me of being inaccurate or fantastical.  I’ll never make a good cheerleader, but I may see a problem before it becomes a problem.  And if I’m bringing you down, stop talking to me.  Since I’m so negative I’ll probably figure it’s my fault anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment