Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Don't care much, never did.

I’m oddly comfortable hurting people’s feelings.

Please don’t misunderstand me, I’m not some sadistic schmuck who gets his kicks making children cry. Truth be told I don’t like to hurt people’s feelings at all, it just doesn’t bother me when I do. If circumstances arise in which, for whatever reason, some gets hurt… I’m okay with that. It would be fair to call me insensitive.

There are three basic reasons for my comfort:

1) I am completely unwilling to walk on eggshells for other people and I have a sense of humor. Everything seems to be a sensitive topic these days, as I’ve mentioned time and again. I don’t understand why people like to blow things out of proportion based on some subjective “political correctness.” Something has to be specifically, intentionally, and maliciously offensive for me to even notice.

On the same vein, I try to keep my sense of humor about things. Life is far too long and absurd not to elicit an occasional chuckle. Everything can be funny in the right context; you just have to be willing to accept it. Cancer can be downright hilarious, particularly in conversations with cancer patients. I understand that there is certainly a time and place for everything, but in that right time and place nothing is off limits.

2) People need to calm. The fuck. Down.

This is probably the root cause of my insensitivity, and at the heart of my humor. Seriously folks, if you happen to randomly hear someone tell a retard joke and you just happen to have a retarded kid back at home, rest assured they were not talking about you. Mental retardation is pretty damn tragic… and hilarious. Again: context. Take a moment to laugh, your kid’s too dumb to be offended.

Try to remember that most conversations are about general life situations. It seems that many people are so self-centered that they think everything relates to them. And if these people want to be offended, and rest assured there is a large and loud section of the population constantly on the prowl to do just that, they’ll find a reason to get upset. And if you’re one of those people, I’ll be happy to oblige because I don’t give a shit.

3) I’m a bad person.

You’ve probably been thinking of this the entire time. “He doesn’t care about other people? What an asshole!”

Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment