Monday, April 13, 2009

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back...

So I gave up coffee last week, thinking that having too many chemicals in my system isn’t necessarily a good thing. I figure that having a little less caffeine flowing through my veins would be a logical thing to do.

If I had to choose between cutting back on coffee or alcohol, it’s just easier to do the coffee. I only have so much will power to use during the day, and I get to start the day with a full measure. Thus, making little sacrifices in the morning is relatively easy. Not having, say, chocolate cake and beer for breakfast is an easy sacrifice. But at the end of the day my will power allotment for the day has been at least partially spent on the little annoyances of daily life. Y’know, just the small stuff, like not letting out a scream of primal rage when I’m driving on the freeway, or throwing the business end of my boot at the newscasters on tv. But, if at the end of the day, I want a beer and a cookie. WELL MAYBE I’VE EARNED MY GODDAMN BEER AND COOKIE!!!! So to speak.

Y’know what I get for my morning sacrifice? I figured I’d feel a little better by the end of the week. Like I cleaned out the gunk in my system with all the water I drank instead of my daily coffee. Not colonic clean, but something nice and pleasant.

Nope, all I got was an afternoon headache. Each and every day. So I don’t think I’m going to be trying to improve myself again any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment