Sunday, August 2, 2009

Dougal

There’s no choice to be made, I’ll do what must be done.

 

And where’s my choice Seamus?  Where’s the choice of our children?  You tell me that.

 

What would you have me do, woman?  There’s nothing to be done, and that’s the end of it.

 

And you’d go for him?  Leave us alone in this cold dark world, with nothing to protect us.


Aye, it’s not as I’d have it, but it is.  Life is cold, and there’s nothing to be done to prevent it.  We do the best we can.

 

Indeed we do husband, the best we can.  And yet you’d go and risk your life and mine for Dougal, the wretch.

 

Hold your tongue, he’s been a friend to me and mine from the beginning.

 

He’s your master, and he calls you like a mule.  And yet you run.

 

He’s my friend and yours, and has been since before you were anything to me.  You’d have me leave him now, wouldn’t you?  In the hour when he needs me most?

 

I’d have you stay with your family, and take no quarrel on behalf of the likes of him.  I’d have the love of the father for my son and daughters.  You’d have less than that?

 

And betray Dougal?  Moira, it’s a cold heart you bear for your friends.

 

I bear what I will for the love of my family, and I’d have you do much the same.  You go to fight a war you can’t win for the honor of a man who has none. This is not your fight, and to take part in the quarrel is nothing more than pride.  And damn to your foolish pride Seamus, damn to your pride.

 

You mistake honor for pride woman, and I do what I must.

 

You must stay with your family, and protect them from the harm sure to come.  Dougal’s sin will visit us all I’ll warrant, and yet you scurry to the first blow.

 

You’d have me lose my goodness.

 

I’d have you give me what you owe husband.  I’d have you give me what you promised.

 

I owe you nothing wife!  I’ve given you all I can just as I’ve always done.  There’s nothing more you can ask.

 

You promised me forever Seamus, don’t ye remember it?  You promised me that I reckon, and asking ya ta stay is less than over reaching my rights.

 

You push too far.

 

And you not far enough.  What do you owe Dougal?  What does he have that is so much more important than your children?

 

All I have is the honor within me, and the strength of my father’s name.  Dougal’s been a part of this from time before time as was his father to mine.  I’d not shame my father’s soul for life’s simple pleasures.  What happens will be what may, and I’ll suffer it if I must.  But Dougal’s fight is my own, as ye well know.  Brotherhood bonds in the worst of times more than the best.

 

Your father’s soul does not excuse you the rights of your children!

 

You’d take the best of me woman!  And what kind of father could I ever be if I ran from this?  If I betrayed the love of family?

 

We’re your family husband; he’s nothing more than some other man.

 

He’s everything more than just some man!  Whenever I call in the darkest time, he’s a brother who’d be there for me.  Just as I’ll be there for him.

 

It’s a bully of a fight Seamus, and nothing more.

 

Aye, all fights are for the bullies Moira, but the fight must be made all the same.

 

You can’t win this, and ye know it.

 

Winning is only a smaller part of what will be done here.  I’d wish the world against this, but there’s nothing to be done.  I’ll have the best of me survive this despite the odds.  That’s the gift I can give to my children, and it’s the best I can ever have.  I’ll keep my soul.

 

Noble blood stains all the same as the rest of us.

 

Aye Moira, blood stains us all.  But I’ll bleed for the right reasons all the same.  And I do that for the love of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment