Sunday, August 30, 2009

Part 5

So I've decided that this whole blog thing is my rough-ish draft area, and I'm subjecting both my readers to the crap version of my crap stories. As such, I'm posting this part even though I'll probably cut it if I ever finish the story. It serves its purpose, as far as furthering the characters in the direction I want them to go. I dunno, it works for what I want but it isn't what I want. But since I wrote it down I might as well post it. What's the worst that can happen? Judge me if you will.

After the movie Ella and I decided to eat out for dinner. We don’t really do these date night things all that much anymore, it just ends up being too expensive. But we decided to treat ourselves to a nice little Italian joint that we used to go to all the time when we were dating. My mood had settled a bit through the movie and life began to feel a little more even keeled. I was glad for the couple hours of mindlessness during the movie to relax. Sometimes our brains just need a break from reality.

We ended up chatting casually about the movie, which was cute in a pointless kind of way. She found the premise to be unrealistic while I found it patently absurd. That’s the point of these kinds of movies anyway, to tell the kinds of stories we aren’t likely to ever experience.

For the most part we just ate quietly. I guess after five years of marriage you just don’t have as many things to say anymore. But it was a good comfortable kind of quiet, with the muffled random noises of the restaurant in the background. With all the shit I saw in Sheryl’s happy file that morning, it was nice just to have something feel good and right. Some things in life do make sense and can be good. I don’t know why it struck me, but I felt a sense of humanity for a moment.

“Whatcha thinking about?” Ella asked.

“I dunno, stuff.”

“What kind of stuff?” she pressed.

“I was just thinking how very lucky I am.” I said.

“Good day at work?”

“Good dinner company.”

She smiled. “Well, I have to admit, you are very lucky in that respect.”

“Don’t I know it? How did I ever get so lucky?” I asked.

“Hmm… that’s a great question.”

“I thought so. What’s a girl like you doing with a guy like me? It just seems like you could do so much better.”

“One would think so, but alas, all the good men were already taken,” she said with a shrug.

“That’s kinda what I figured, it’s tragic, really.” I said.

“You know,” she said in a half whisper. “You really aren’t all that bad a catch either mister. Many a girl has done much worse.”

“Really?”

“Oh sure.”

“I’ll bet many a girl has done better.” I said.

“I can’t imagine how.” She said matter-of-factly.

“Oh, I’ll bet you could.”

She winked at me. “Maybe if I gave it some thought, you never know. But really, what’s going on in that head of yours? You seem, I dunno, distant or something.”

“Distant?” I asked.

“Kinda. You look like you’re faraway or something. It’s in the eyes.”

“Hmm... interesting. I don’t know about that eye thing and all, but I guess that I was just thinking that right now at this moment I feel like I’m in the right place with the right person doing the right thing. It’s like the world makes sense, even if it’s just for a little while. Y’know? Everything is exactly the way it’s supposed to be.”

“Things aren’t normally the way they’re supposed to be?” she asked.

“Nah,” I said. “Sometimes I think the whole world seems just a little bit crazy. I like, think back, y’know? All the things that I thought I wanted as a kid, who I thought I’d be and all. The daydreams and memories, the way I thought the world worked. But then I watch the news and it’s so goddamn depressing… yeah, I don’t think the world is always the way it’s supposed to be. It’s just more complicated than I thought it would be, I guess. I always thought that things got easier as you grew up, like being an adult meant you had everything under control. But life doesn’t work that way. Except for moments like right now, sitting here, with you. Right now I’m not worrying about anything because it all feels just right. I dunno, I guess that sounds stupid and I’m just not saying it right.”

“Yeah you are. You said everything just perfect.” Ella started to get up. “I’m going to freshen up, get the check.”

“What about dessert?” They serve the best tiramisu in town here.

“At home,” and she winked.

Screw the tiramisu.

When we got home I saw the answering machine light blinking.

“Wanna bet who that is?” Ella asked.

“C’mon, it could be anybody.”

“Everybody else would call your cell like a normal person.”

“Could be a telemarketer.” I suggested.

“Then take the bet.”

Damn. “So he calls the land line, so what?”

“Just check the message, I’m gonna change. Get some dessert out of the fridge. I’m in the mood for something sweet,” she said as she walked towards the bedroom.

I walked over to the counter to hit the play button and find out what Mike wanted. Of course it was Mike.

“I told you!” Ella hollered from the other room when she heard the recording.

“I’ll call him tomorrow!” I yelled back.

“Call him now, he’ll just call again later if you don’t. I’m not done changing anyway… but don’t go over there!”

“Yeah, yeah” I muttered to myself as I dialed Mike’s number. “Yo.”

“Hey Will, can you talk?” Mike asked.

“Kinda, what’s up?”

“Can you come by? I think we need to talk about this Sheryl thing. This isn’t like before.”

“Now?”

“Yeah.”

“I don’t think that’s going to work for me.” I said.

“Why not?”

“I’ve got my reasons. Is something happening now?”

“No, she’s at home. But I’m thinking something should.”

“No, it shouldn’t. Just read through the packet and then we’ll talk.” I said, trying to calm him down.

“I already went through it.” He said.

“All of it?”
“Its pretty compelling reading, Will.”

“I know, but you can’t do anything now. We have to let it play out, just like always. Let things settle.”

“You weren’t kidding when you called her, you know…”

“I wasn’t…” just then I saw Ella’s leg stick through the hall doorway, wearing some fancy black stocking I’d never seen before. “Look Mike, we can’t do anything now. Rushing is just bad news.” Her leg slid slowly back through the doorway. “I got to go Mike, I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Fine.”

“Good. Listen, Mike? Don’t do anything, okay?”

“I guess not.” Click

After I hung up Ella stuck her head, just her head, out the doorway and asked, “What’s up?”

“Nothing, just Mike stuff.”

“Good,” she smiled. “Get the dessert,” and she disappeared again. I was glad she didn’t really want to know what Mike was up to.

I opened the refrigerator door and found chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champagne. Somebody was prepared. I started to wonder what the special occasion was until I realized that I didn’t care.

No comments:

Post a Comment