Thursday, August 20, 2009

Part 3, let's get it on the table

I was sitting at work playing Tetris when Mike called. I’m an accountant, and despite the fact that I play a ton of tetras on the clock I’m a damn good one. I run an office branch that’s kind of like a franchise. An old family friend owns the company, but I’ve self-financed and run this office for the last few years. It’s the closest I could get to owning my own business without actually owning anything.

“Will here, how can I help you?” I answered.

“Will, it’s Mike. I’ve got another one.”

Oh great. “You know that I’m at work, right?”

“That’s the number I called” he said. “You beat your high score in Tetris yet?”

Asshole. “I’m working here Mike, it’s not all fun and games.”

“Sure, look I just wanted to tell you that I got another fish.”

“That’s an interesting way to put it. What do you need?” I asked.

“Background.”

“Where’d you find this one?”

“Internet,” he responded.

“Are you sure it’s legit?”

“That’s what I’m trying to find out.”

“No half-assing this one Mike, you need to be for sure for sure. You tailing him yet?”

“Her, and yeah, just starting.”

“Her? Shit. What do you need to know?”

“Same old. Whatever we can use against her, she’s a smart one. Was a teacher.”

“Damn it, seriously? The hell the world is coming to. How bad was it?”

“Bad.” I guess I’ll have to take his word on it for now.

“Alright, you got the basic info?”

“Yeah, just need the details, find out what I’m dealing with. Do what you do, Will.”

“Only reason you keep me around.” I said.

“Not the only reason. Name’s Bowman, Sheryl Bowman, with an ‘s’.”

“Got it, it’ll take a couple of days to get up and down the line. You got a timeline on this shindig?”

“Too soon to tell. Ella’s not on nights for another two weeks; should give me some time to verify. Make sure she hasn’t gone clean or nothing.”

Most people would be worried if their best friend had their wife’s schedule memorized. I guess I worried about it too, but I’m not worried about an affair. I’m worried that this is all becoming too routine.

“Alright Mike, I’ll let you know when I know.” I said.

“Good.” Click

“Your welcome asshole.”

I thought about finishing my game of Tetris, though I doubted I could beat my high score. I really am playing this too much. Best get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment