Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm baack!

And I’ve got nothing to say, really, nothing of even remote importance. In fact, I’m not sure why I’m wasting my time to type this at all. But it is remarkably annoying when someone refuses to update their blog. And by an “annoying someone” I mean me. Hello.

So let’s ramble a bit.

Well, in the not too distant past I took a personality test. And no, it wasn’t one of those bored at your computer things, it was more of a work aptitude type of test. You know, the ones you don’t enjoy taking and can actually fail. It went through a series of personality traits/flaws, whatever. One of the interesting ones that came up is that I am apparently antisocial.

Remember now, this was for a work gig. I don’t know if you know what I do for a living, and if you don’t it’s none of your damn business anyway. But I will let you in on the secret that it is a public and social position. I deal with people all the goddamn day long. Everyday. Seriously. And I got the job, even with the antisocial manifesto working against me.

I’ve put some thought into it, though obviously not particularly seriously. I mean, if I came up with something life changing and important do you think I’d post it online for free? So what I came up with in the last 30 seconds is that it depends on your definition of antisocial.

adjective

1. unwilling or unable to associate in a normal or friendly way with other people: He's not antisocial, just shy.

2. antagonistic, hostile, or unfriendly toward others; menacing; threatening: an antisocial act.

3. opposed or detrimental to social order or the principles on which society is constituted: antisocial behavior.

4. Psychiatry. of or pertaining to a pattern of behavior in which social norms and the rights of others are persistently violated.

–noun

5. a person exhibiting antisocial traits.

I don’t know that I really fit any one of those definitions all that well, but I suppose you could take one word from each and come up with an approximation of my personality. I’m pretty “unwilling” to do things that I don’t want to do and can also be “antagonistic” at times. I’m “opposed” to “persistent” people, because that just gets obnoxious. And if we’re using loose definitions I’m also a “person.”

So there you have it, I’m an antisocial person, or a person exhibiting an antisocial personality disorder. But only if you spread the adjectives around to the point of complete meaningless. Which, as you can see, is something that I’m willing to do. So I’m going to blame my parents, society, the war in Iraq, Converse All Stars, Keds, the color purple (the actual color, not the book,) and Gandhi.

I’d call up some friends and get together, but all this blame takes up a ton of time. And I can’t feel better until I get it all out.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer the term introvert to antisocial. I think they get confused at times. Introvert is style or temperament. It's okay to be introverted. It's just different than extroverted, whereas antisocial has that slight pathological ring to it. It always sounds as though the antisocial person hates everyone. Which is probably only occasionally true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the pathology part may be the most applicable in this case...

    ReplyDelete