Friday, May 18, 2012

Pity Party


        It’s always interesting when people feel sorry for me.  I find the whole idea a bit astounding.  I certainly have many faults and quite a few things in life that could use improvement, but they are almost all my fault.  And many quite fixable at that, certainly nothing deserving special sympathy.
        Most of the pity relates to some misbegotten idea of potential loneliness, though I’m sure there are other reasons as well.  At the end of the day there are only so many movies to watch or books to read in your free time.  Eventually, you are just alone.
        Wait, people are continuing to make movies and write books?  Well, if my eyes get tired or I happen to go blind...
        What is this music of which you speak?  And they still make that?  Oh, I guess not real music anymore.
        Anyway, I think it all stems from the things in life that I simply do not get to have.  Let me give you some examples:
  1. I do not get to go watch Romantic Comedies.
  2. I do not get to tell someone about my day.
  3. I do not get to bring a date to weddings.
  4. I do not get to share my thoughts and feelings.
  5. I do not get to expand my horizons with another’s perspective.
        All fine points, I do not get these things.  But I’m really more of a “have” kind of person than a “get” kind of person.  Observe:
  1. I do not have to go watch Romantic Comedies.
  2. I do not have to tell someone about my day.
  3. I do not have to bring a date to weddings.
  4. I do not have to share my thoughts and feelings.
  5. I do not have to expand my horizons with another’s perspective.
        I feel this is actually a much more positive view of the world.  But hey, that’s just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment