Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I love sports.

If you don't watch, that's fine.  If you haven't been watching the last few weeks, you're certainly missing out.

But if you hate sports you are missing the point.  Sports are real life true drama, with implications that influence a specific group of people.  It's something you can enjoy and talk about with friends.  It's a good time to bond.  It's an excuse to be social.

And when push comes to shove?  None of it really matters.  So if some of the real life drama in your own life interrupts you can just walk away.  Sports are real and they can be dramatic.  But they are much easier to deal with than the actual crap we deal with everyday.   They call it escapism (see: movies.)

The worst thing that can happen is your team loses.  Then you can just say hey, there's always next year.  You have to love that.

3 comments:

  1. I used to think televised sports just made me mad. As it turns, I was mad about something else altogether and sports was just an available outlet.

    Now that I am not so mad, i kind of get it, though I still think there is no end. But maybe that's part of it. For those who love it, or need it, or just escape into it occasionally, it's always there. At least in some form. Could be comforting.

    I watched a little basketball. It wasn't bad. Though the very large fellow sitting beside me will not be living to a ripe old age, he was certainly enjoying himself. I noticed that the "f" word applies to both good and bad athletic endeavors to many who watch. I would like to have heard tad more variety in the commentary, but that's just me.

    Go Lakers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have to be able to relate to sports to enjoy them, but all that really means is that you have to like the game. It is a blue collar past time, but that fits most of us anyway.

    If you want to learn how you are supposed to watch basketball, don't look at the ball. The key to the 5 on 5 game is all of the other movement, which sets the action. It'll look almost like a dance if you pay attention to it (and they are actually running the offense and not isolating for one-on-ones.)

    Sitcoms, movies, novels, magazines... It's all an escape mechanism to help the brain relax and release. Sports is just one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may watch a game tonight ( or part of one) and so will bear in mind your comments. It feels good to be open to new things. I did find it hard to follow the ball sometimes. Maybe now I will watch the feet. ( two steps, fox trot, cha cha cha?)

    I do get a kick out of the dramatics of falling backward and sliding 10 feet at the slightest little push from an opposing player. Obvious, but effetive at times.

    ReplyDelete