Sunday, July 19, 2009

You better sit down for this

“Yeah, so I have something to tell you, but I’m not really sure how.” She said.

 

“Well, that doesn’t sound too promising, what’s up?”

 

“I dunno, I mean, why don’t you sit down?”

 

“Sure.” He walked over to the couch and sat down, wondering what on earth could have her shaking.  Is she leaving me?

 

“Want something to drink?”

 

“Nah, I’m good, thanks.  You okay hon?  You look… nervous.”

 

“No, I’m fine.  Maybe a little nervous.”

 

“Why don’t you sit down then?  What’s going on, you can talk to me.”

 

“Promise you won’t be mad?”

 

“Is there something to be mad about?”

 

“Maybe.”

“Alright, seriously, you should just tell me what’s going on.  Just go ahead and say it, nice and easy.”

 

“You’re right, I know you’re right.  But it’s, I dunno… kinda hard.”

 

Jesus woman, now I’m nervous.  “Take your time babe, no worries.”

 

She feigned a smile.  “I don’t know how to say it so I’m just going to say it, okay?”  He nodded.  “Okay, so… I’m late.”

 

Late?  Late for what?  Aah…  “Okay.”

 

“That’s all you can say, okay?”

 

He chuckled, “so far, yeah.  That’s about all I can say.”  He looked at her and knew she resented him thinking it was funny.  It wasn’t funny, but he still needed to laugh.  “What exactly does that mean, late?”

 

Tears started rolling down her cheeks and her whole body seemed to shake.  “I’m pregnant.  I’m sorry!  I didn’t mean for it to happen, it just did!  You have to believe me!”

 

“Okay, alright, okay…  How late are you?  Is this like a for sure for sure kind of thing?”

 

“Three tests, it’s pretty for sure.”

 

“Shit.”

This time she half laughed.  “No kidding.”

 

“How long have you known?”

 

“I dunno, I got nervous a couple of weeks ago, but I’ve been late before so I didn’t want to say anything, y’know?  I took the tests yesterday.”

 

“Why didn’t you let me know, I could have been around or something.”

 

“And done what, held the stick?”

 

“I don’t know, I could have done something.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“I thought you were on that ring thing.”

 

“I was, but there’s always a chance I guess.  Sorry.”

 

“You really need to stop apologizing.”

 

“Sorry.”

           

“Alright, well, do you want to get going?”

 

“Where?”

 

“I thought we were going to see that movie, the one with that girl and guy and some dog or something.  What’s it called?”

 

“I tell you that I’m pregnant, and you still want to go see a movie?”

 

“I’m not really sure what else to do here, I kind of have to get my head rapped around it.  You caught me by surprise.”

 

“You’re not the only one.”

 

“I get it, you want to talk.  Let’s talk.  Where exactly do we go from here?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Well, I suppose we have a few options.  We could keep going like we going, just have this thing going on too.  I was hoping to move into a bigger place soon, and thinking maybe we could, if you wanted, move in together or something.   I was nervous to ask, it being a big step and all.  Though it doesn’t seem quite as big now.  I mean, with a kid and all, I guess we should talk about getting married.  I don’t’ know, we’ve never really talked about that before either.   What do you think?”

 

“There’s another option.”

Yes there is.  “Well, I’m sure there’s several, this is just top of my head stuff.”

 

“I could make it go away.”

 

“Is that an option?”

 

“I don’t know, do you think I should?”

 

“Well shit, I don’t think that’s the kind of decision that I can help you make.”

 

“But I don’t know what to do!  You’re supposed to help me!”

 

“Hon, I’m here to help you in anyway that I can.  But that’s the kind of decision a guy just doesn’t get to make.”

 

“So now it’s all on me, huh?  Fucking typical.”

 

“Well, have you thought about it?”

 

“So you think I should?  It would certainly be convenient for you.”

 

“For me?  Calm down a second, I didn’t bring that up.  Have you, just like, thought about that as an option?”

 

“I’ve thought about everything.”

 

“And?”

 

“I don’t know, it’s all kinda hitting me like a train.  I don’t know what to do.”

 

“That’s fair, neither of us know what to do.  It’s a whole lot to think about, especially since you just found out last night.”

 

“I guess we don’t have to decide everything right now.”


“Of course not, we get to think about these things.”

 

“But I want to talk about that… that option.  Now I think, is better to talk about it.  I need your help.  I want your advice.”

 

“I really don’t know what I’m supposed to say here.”

 

“Something would be good.”  She laughed openly this time, and it felt like the room deflated just a little.”

 

“Alright,” he smiled with a furrowed brow.  “You said you have thought about this, um, option.  What kind of things did you think about when you thought about it?”

 

“I dunno.  I think maybe I should, it makes a lot of sense.   I mean, it would be the easiest thing for both of us, y'know, just make it go away.  But I’m not sure if I could, or should, or not, or whatever.  I’m not sure how to even think about it.”

 

“I still think this is one of those things where I really don’t know where to stand, I just don’t think I can push you on this either way.”  She looked at him like a child, “but I think that if you don’t know what to think about it, that’s probably answer enough of that probably you shouldn’t.”

 

“You wouldn’t be mad?  I thought you’d, y’know, make me.”

 

“I’m not ever going to mad about this, I don’t know what I’m feeling, or what I’m going to feel.  But I promise not to be mad.”

 

She laughed and wiped away a tear.  “So… you were going to ask me to move in?”

No comments:

Post a Comment